We’re Two Months Old!
Time is flying by, and I can hardly believe we’re already two months old! Thanks to all our supporters for following, retweeting and sharing our info, and joining our newsletter. Speaking of which, we’re holding our first contest!
This blog entry features more updates on the VeganStart project, news stories and other interesting links we’ve come across, and much more.Our First Contest!
Here’s what’s new with us:
- We’ve started a Communities page, listing other online communities that might be helpful for new vegans, check it out and let us know if you have any suggestions!
- Our Facebook and Twitter pages have been growing quite a bit – be sure to join us there for interesting and timely updates and interact with others.
- We had our very first interview, thank you Rachida from the new In Brussels website, find out a bit more ‘behind the scenes’ here at the VeganStart HQ! (We love participating in blog articles & interviews, contact us if you’re a blogger and would like to feature VeganStart!)
- We’ve added a ‘decadence’ option to our quick & easy vegan nutella recipe, You’ll want to check that out!
- And finally, we’re excited to welcome a new VeganStart staff member:
— VeganStart (@VeganStart) January 29, 2015
We adopted Fiona from the Small Animal Rescue Society of BC, her full name is Fiona Ridley Fuzzybottoms Foxkoff, and we’re very warmed by her company and humbled to be able to offer her a home. =)
News We Choose (For Yous!)
(How’s that for a catching heading. ;)
Here are some news highlights that would be of interest to readers from the last couple weeks:
- Newsweek had a headline that was not at all alarming: If We All Eat Meat, We’re Doomed
- This Salon quote sums it up: “It’s not whether or not people are going to eat sh*t — they are. It’s just how much.” Actual headline: USDA pork inspectors speak out: “People are going to eat sh*t”
- And just in case you were wondering: These maps show where all the world’s cattle, chickens, and pigs are
What We’ve Come Across
Here is a selection of other links and highlights that should be of interest!
- The heading says it all: 35 Fish Facts That Will Make You Never Want to Eat Fish Again
- This is a really informative infographic: Can vegetarianism save the planet?
- Another infographic, this one came up a lot in my feeds over the last week: What You Probably Didn’t Know About Veganism and the Environment
- Looking to ditch dairy? 5 Tips to Help you Transition to a Cheese-Free Diet
- The good news is we’ve finally found a palm-free and vegan spread/margarine! The bad news for many: it’s only available in Australia – check out Sunburst!
- Are you concerned with pesticides in food? Here’s a 2014 list of the ‘Dirty Dozen’ from EWG, plus 15 ‘clean’ foods too.
The dairy industry has taken to social media to ‘fight back’ against the non-dairy ‘uprising’…which is outrageous – is it really a fight when you’re over 90% of the market and the vast majority of people already consume your products? Twitter has been aflame with hashtags like #GetReal and #DairyTruth, but it’s backfired and the majority of tweets are from animal activists revealing aspects of the industry I’m sure they’d rather not see the light of day. We’ve participated and posted a few items. This one was quite popular:
— VeganStart (@VeganStart) January 28, 2015
It’s really bizarre to me – there are over a dozen commercially available types of non-dairy milk, but people say being vegan is restrictive or limiting. It’s almost like eating conventionally blinds you to other possibilities. How many of the different non-dairy milks have you tried, or can you name? Here’s our list.
We’re looking forward to our first give-away, so sign up to our newsletter right away for your chance to win on Freaky Friday. (Oh, and get our updates!) We’ve got some more goodies planned, including offering some fun VeganStart stickers in another promotion over the next few days. Our website redesign is also underway (including a really great recipe section that will welcome your contributions), and we’re looking forward to showing that off soon as well.
Thank you so much for coming by and seeing what we have to offer. We’re still growing, but we’re hoping you’re already finding this to be a useful resource with helpful news, information and tips. Let us know what you think in the comments below.
Until next time, have a great breakfast!